Saturday, November 15, 2008

Threats Against Obama

I just read that Obama is getting more threats against him than any other President-elect. On the one hand, it's surprising because he was elected with such an overwhelming majority, but on the other hand it's not. He is half-black, and a lot of the people who didn't vote for him are the kind of people who tend to stockpile weapons . . .

Of course, I thought by now, most of us whites were over the whole race thing. I'm an educated 35-year-old woman, and the fact that the new President is African-American had absolutely no bearing on my decision to vote for Obama, as I imagine it didn't for a lot of others like me. Even for those who might have reservations about voting for a black man (although I would say to them what one black comedian did-- "he's only half black; vote for the white half!"), decided to vote for him anyway. What I just don't get is-- what is the big deal for whites voting for a black man? If you haven't noticed, many, many of the faces we see on TV, in government, in the movies, at work, at school, at church-- they aren't totally white faces. In fact, you can't even tell from looking at someone what their race is anymore. Heck, I babysit a little girl whose dad is half-black and you would never know it looking at her blue eyes and fair skin. My point: racism is as outdated as teased hair and roller skates.

What are these white Supremecist types afraid of? Don't they realize that they are the poor and middle class that Obama wants to help? The rich Republicans they have been voting for have not had their best interests in mind. To them, the skinheads and family are just another bunch of rabble who can wait (forever) for trickle down economics to reach them. Time to switch sides, guys. Luckily, according to the government, the people making these kinds of threats against Obama are not capable of carrying them out. For everyone's sake, I hope they're right. There will be a special place in Hell for anyone who assassinates this man, who is finally going to rescue America from itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your posts. As a Canadian, I wish we had had a little more guts in our last election and not re-elected our conservative Prime Minister. I can't help but feel that Mr.Obama must feel such intense pressure to change things--not only from his own fellow countrymen and women, but from all around the globe. He is a brave man and you have much to be proud of.