Monday, October 20, 2008

Early Voting Starts in Florida

Today is the official first day of early voting in my battleground state of Florida. If the kids let me (and I remember my voter registration card), I'm going downtown to vote today.

You all know I'm an Obama supporter, but I just watched a PBS documentary on both candidates (totally objective, just the facts, PBS-style), and I have to admit I've gained a lot of respect for John McCain as well. The guy was a POW in Vietnam for 9 years, and he's not the Bush-lover he seems to be. In fact, I suspect that he only voted with Bush so many times in the past 4 years because he was trying to save his political career. At one point (he denies it) he almost went Democrat.

Of course, for me, Obama is still da man. Here's a smart, steady guy who has been an activist from Day One. In fact, Obama went into politics because he couldn't help people enough with his community organizing activities. Can you believe that? Obama is actually running for president because he want to help people! Has our political system ever seen the like since the founding days?

Anyway, I'm pulling hard for Obama, but I am more comforted that if John McCain does get in, he might actually try to do some good things, too. Of course, I'll never vote for John McCain because he is too oil-loving and refuses to make any promises to move away from oil or to do anything about health care (except throw money at us to shut us up). I suspect this is not because he doesn't recognize a problem, but because these folks are funding his campaign, or there are old promises to be maintained, or whatever. That's irrelevant to me. If you can't or won't get us off oil and stand up to the health insurance companies, then you shouldn't be President. Period.

No comments: