Monday, February 2, 2009

So How Did Republicans Corner the Market on God?

I don't understand why liberals are considered a bunch of moral-less athiests while the religious right seems to have God on speed dial. In my experience the conservative folk show far fewer Christian values than the progressives. Here are a few examples:
  • The whole abortion issue. They will lie in front of a train to save the fetus of a teen drug-addicted mom, but as soon as the baby's born they don't want to pay a dime to help it or its mom.
  • Government spending. They piss and moan about the government helping anybody out with anything, but don't bat an eye when trillions of dollars are spent on an objectionable war effort.
  • Love one another. My Republican family and friends are great about helping out their next-door neighbor or friend, but as soon as the circle gets too big, they don't care anymore. Hence one family member's response to a World Vision commercial: "and they keep having kids..." Yeah, God would approve of that.

I could go on and on, but those are a few of the things that boggle my mind. I will quote my best friend's husband here: "You know if Jesus were here, he'd be a Democrat." So don't assume because I am a progressive, or liberal, that I don't believe in God, or that I'm not a good Christian, or that I think abortion is a great idea.

I believe in helping others, which is apparently a democratic party value, and, by the way, a Christian one,too.

No comments: